Thursday, June 3, 2010

It's Our Annual "Third Of June" / Bobbie Gentry Tribute!

Can you believe it???

Another year has come and gone ... since we last talked about "Billie Joe".







>>>I've always hated this song ... this is the record that knocked The Cryan' Shames out of the #1 Spot here in Chicago! (Jim "Hooke" Pilster / The Cryan' Shames)

We've saluted Bobbie Gentry's MONSTER #1 Hit several times now over the past few years on the anniversary of the date that Billie Joe McAllister jumped off the Tallahatchee Bridge.

Once again, we've tried to track Bobbie down without success ... word is she's become quite a recluse over the past couple of decades ... too bad because we'd LOVE to hear from her!

Last year her appearance on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour was released on DVD Home Video ... it's a classic interpretation of her hit tune.

Click here: YouTube - Bobbie Gentry - Ode To Billy Joe


>>>There's more Ode to Billie Joe theories than there are about the JFK assassination.
I love it!
zamusicza

Gentry had ANOTHER Top 40 Hit in 1970 with "Fancy", a song later covered with great country chart success by Reba McEntire ... but you rarely get to hear the Bobbie Gentry original version on the radio anymore.

It's always been one of my favorites ... and makes the PERFECT companion piece not only for our annual salute to "Ode To Billie Joe" but ALSO another great set for our on-going "One You Remember ... One You Didn't Even Know You Forgot!" Series!!! (We're hoping that we can convince Scott Shannon to run another True Oldies Channel / Forgotten Hits Weekends REAL soon where we do exactly that ... play one that you know ... and one that you didn't even know you'd forgotten because it simply doesn't receive airplay anymore!!!)







(By the way, Bobbie Gentry also hit Billboard's Top 40 twice by way of a couple of Everly Brothers remakes recorded with Glen Campbell ... their version of "Let It Be Me" went to #36 in 1969 and their take on "All I Have To Do Is Dream" reached #27 a year later. Gentry was briefly married to novelty artist Jim Stafford, who gave us great classics like "Spiders And Snakes", "Wildwood Weed" and one of my all-time favorite love songs, "My Girl Bill"!)


Yep, I remember .. here in Chicago I was out bailing cotton and my sister was bailing hay.
-- Chicago Mike


A year has come and gone since we heard the news 'bout Billie Joe. I think I'll pick some flowers up on Choctaw Ridge and throw them into the muddy water off the Tallhatchee Bridge. Ironically, the real Tallahatchee Bridge -- which collapsed in 1972 -- was over water so shallow people routinely jumped off without drowning. But then, Billie Joe never had a lick o'sense. Y'all remember to wipe your feet ...
-- Ron Smith

High tide too!
Austin Roberts


If I remember right, 44 years ago today was just another sleepy delta day.
Mark
Actually, it was DUSTY, too!!! (lol) kk
I knew there was another adjective that went in there but couldn't think of anything but sh***y!
Mark
LOL ... yeah, that'll work!!! (lol) kk


44 years ... and I STILL hate that song!
Clay Pasternack


you have toooo much extra time on your hands …………. Stan Burkat


OH MY .............. I hadn't heard because I WAS OUT CHOPPIN' COTTON AND MY BROTHER WAS BALING HAY!!!!
Gerri


I'd help you celebrate ... but I'm too busy passing the biscuits.
Jack

YOU ARE THE BEST!
SCOTT SHANNON

Reminds me of the time a frog was put down my back at a picture show .... I think I'll go get me some biscuits
-- Chuck Pattillo


Hey, I saw a girl that looked a lot like you up on Choctaw Ridge ...
Lorne

Well now nosy Brother Taylor, you must've seen me and Billy Joe throw somethin' off the Tallahatchie Bridge ... ;) -- Linda G

Well, I'll be pleased to keep quiet about it if you make me a nice dinner on Sunday ...
-- Brother Taylor