Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Helping Out Our Readers

re: HELPING OUT OUR READERS:
KK,

To all of those who have been fans for years and years, there are two groups with the name the Youngtones. My office heard from their office and it appears that there is no conflict of interest laws which may have been broken, but in several cases they did infringe on a few of our songs. We agreed on a fee settlement and they have agreed to include a few of our songs on a new CD. I plan to use any funds that this may generate to continue helping handicap treatment at the ClassicCarouselRanch.com and La Casa Christian Medical Center. If there any former Youngtone members out there, whether you were a temp or an original, please contact the office by mail.
JOCCO'S AUTO WORLD PUBLICATION SINCE 1976
NORTH EASTERN AVENUE
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA 89101

hi kent ...
I got one for ya ... I had this as vinyl LONG ago ... and would love to acquire the mp3's of some of the songs ... anybody else remember them ?
Nickel Bag - Doing Their Love Thing (1968)

Released on the Kama Sutra label in 1968. Arranged by Larry Fallon. They played the Red Lion a lot. In the summer of 1969 The Nickel Bag toured with Steppenwolf and played with The Turtles, The Buckinghams, The Flock, The Fifth Dimension, The Shadows of Knight, and others. Their bassist Bill Brackin also substituted as bass player for the Seeds of Doubt, another local C-U band a couple of times when their bass player was sick.
Tracks:
01. How Do I Love Thee
02. A Red, Red Rose
03. Lover's Litany
04. The Night Is Darkening Around Me
05. She Walks In Beauty
06. Shall I Compare Thee
07. God's Gifts
08. She Was A Phantom Of Delight
09. Tears, Idle Tears
10. Rubaiyat Of Omar Khayyam
YOU MIGHT NOTICE THEIR 'HOOK' ... setting 'standard cool' poetry to music ... it plays a lot better if you're stoned while listening ...

(gary) RENFIELD ...
www.RIPRenfield.com
I remember putting the word out on this one a few years ago ... can't remember if we got any results or not ... so let's give it another shot with our new and expanded FH audience! (kk)
NOTE: Gary eventually found a couple of tracks from this release, which he sent me under separate cover. After listening to these I can only say now that I've heard Nickel Bag ... and nothing more. (My parents always taught me that if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all!!! lol) By the way, these guys are called Nickel Bag ... NOT to be confused with Nickelback ... who actually make pretty good music! (kk)

Wow. Alive And Well by Spare Change. Thanx a million. You are the best!
Is it available on CD or MP3 anywhere?
MARK
Probably not through conventional means ... but I'll send you a copy of the same MP3 that I received for your collection! (kk)

Hello,
I have just spotted your website when I was trying to trace an instrumental which I can remember from back in the 1960s. I think the title in the UK was "Imago", or something close to that, and was recorded by an orchestra leader with (again - I think) a french sounding name.
Very sketchy details I'm afraid, but can anyone remember any such recording? It was never what one could call a hit, but it got a few playings on the airwaves for a while then "disappeared".
But I do agree with what has been said on your web article, some of those instrumental recordings were outstanding and deserve to be remembered and revisited.
Regards
Robin Cavaghan
I checked a couple of sources for this one (including a book featuring all of the songs to ever hit The British Charts) and came up empty ... of course, if the name is off by even the slightest amount, that won't help our cause ... but maybe somebody else out there will recognize this one. (We have quite a few readers in the UK these days so let's see what comes back!) Thanks, Robin ... glad you're enjoying Forgotten Hits! (kk)


... and, speaking of instrumentals ...


My brother said that he used to listen to an album in the mid 1960's that included The Stripper, Theme from a Summer Place, Stranger on the Shore. Is there a CD out that includes these songs? Thank you.

Windmar

Finding an album containing these songs as instrumentals probably isn't that tough a trick ... but finding all three original, hit recordings of these tunes (by the original artists) on the same CD might be a little bit tougher.

One of the best instrumental compilation CDs I've ever found is called "Instrumental Gems of the '60's". It was put out by Collectors' Choice Music and is now apprently out of print. While it lacks Mr. Acker Bilk's "Stranger On The Shore", it DOES feature "The Stripper" by David Rose and "Theme From 'A Summer Place'" by Percy Faith ... along with 38 OTHER great instrumental tracks like "Last Date" by Floyd Cramer, "Exodus" and "Midnight Cowboy" by Ferrante and Teicher, "Bonanza" by Al Caiola, "Classical Gas" by Mason Williams, "Love Is Blue" by Paul Mauriat, "No Matter What Shape" by The T-Bones, "Java" by Al Hirt and lots of other GREAT instrumental hits. Amazon.com has used copies available ... Collectors' Choice doesn't even list it on their website anymore. Hope this helps! (kk)

I just love that 1969 Heaven Scent commercial you featured. Thank you. There was also a Binocha commercial that ran around the same time span. I wonder if that is also available.

Keep up the good work and take care,

MARK

Let's put it to the list and see what they come up with. The "Heaven Sent" spot has certainly proven to be a VERY popular item with our readers! (kk)

Hello,

I am a Disc Jockey Presenter, Matthew Harris, since 1972. I now produce radio programs as a volunteer for Hospital Radio stations both in the U.S. and U.K.. I am on 1/3/10 of your blog and you talk about spots and jingles, but I do not see any players. Are they removed? I play old Radio Ads and jingle bits. I am also looking for ARTIST DROPS AND LINERS. IE: Neil Diamond, Annette, Frankie Valli / Four Seasons,Tommy James, Pat Boone. I produce: "The Matthew Program" I feature a TOP Five in my program, usually a theme of something the songs have in common. I also feature Double-Play, usually SIDE A and SIDE B, Original and Re-Make, Demo and Hit, ect. Are mp3 of past posting that are no longer on your site available via email request? For fun, I have included a Tiger Woods interview I recorded right before Christmas. Please let me know.
Yours,
Matthew Harris
I'm not sure what's up with the players ... they seem to go (sometimes determined by your web browser ... by the way AOL's seems to be the WORST!!! lol) Then again, the other day the website wouldn't let me upload ANY music, no matter how many times I tried!!! So who knows!

If you're into the "double plays", then you'll love our Favorite, Forgotten B-Sides feature on our OTHER website ... as well as The Top 200 Biggest Two-Sided Hits Of All-Time, which can also be found there.
Click here: Forgotten Hits - The Top 200 BIGGEST TWO-SIDED HITS of All-Time
Click here: Forgotten Hits - Your Top 200 Favorite, Forgotten B-Sides

Glad to have you on board ... your "Tiger-Man" interview is included on today's web page. (kk)







Hi Kent -
Regarding the Top Summer Songs, did "One Summer Night" by the Danleers get any votes?
Rumors had it that the late Morton Downey Jr.wrote the song and was involved in the vocals. Do you have any insight on this tune? I think it came out in 1958.
When in doubt, ask the master!!
Carolyn

Actually, "One Summer Night" got a quick wave of votes that all seemed to come in at once ... when all was said and done, it finished at #51. (You can check out the "expanded" countdown here: Click here: Forgotten Hits - Your All-Time Summer Favorites
The Danleers are one of those true One Hit Wonders ... "One Summer Night" was their ONLY chart hit, peaking at #9 in Cash Box Magazine back in 1958 (and reaching #16 on Billboard's Top 100 Chart.) Joel Whitburn's book credits their manager Danny Webb with not only writing their only hit but also being the inspiration for the group's name! I don't see anything mentioned anywhere about a Morton Downey, Jr. connection to the tune. (kk)



Morton Downey, Jr. DID, however, place some of his music with some very popular singers over the year. (His Dad was quite the singer, too!) For more on the Musical Side of Morton Downey, Jr., be sure to visit the official website here: Click here: Morton Downey Jr. Music

In hindsight one could argue that Morton Downey, Jr., paved the way for flamboyant, "shock" media personalities like Howard Stern and Jerry Springer ... whether that's "credit" or "blame" is in the eye of the beholder ... but between his radio program ... and then his syndicated television series, Mort was all over the place for YEARS. He passed away on March 12, 2001.