Tuesday, July 5, 2011

HELPING OUT OUR READERS


>>>There is a song that I am trying to find.  I believe that it was released in the early-to-mid '70s.  The singer sounds a lot like Judy Collins, with that mezzo soprano voice. And yet, it could be Chicago folk singer Bonnie Koloc. The only lyrics I can recall are, "Sixteen years old ... January's Child, trying to get  to the _______"  The last note is high and extended. Thank you for researching this.  (Joanie Baker)


Hey Kent,

I think I got Joanie Baker's song problem figured out. 

Could it be Born to The Breed by Judy Collins

Hope this is it!

AJK - The Youngest Oldies Freak Around



Looks like you nailed it!  Read on ...


Hello.
Thank you for helping me in locating a song recently.  I have another one that I would like to see if you can also find.
Not sure who the artist is.  His voice sounds like Henry Gross.  The tone of the song is somber.  It moves slowly like a ballad ... kinda folky, and very lightly produced.  It sounds like there is a pan flute playing, leading into the chorus.
The lyrics:   In the morning when you wake to find that you don't know the one who's right beside you.  Ain't no way you're going to rise and shine.  You'll close your eyes and pray he won't remind you ... (extended note).
(chorus)    Maybe you can fly, maybe you can fly away.  (repeated phrase)
Next verse:
Not a whisper, just a cup of tea,   ___________ ... to wash away the sorrow ...
Thanks again for your help.
Joanie

Well, since Henry Gross is a regular contributor to Forgotten Hits, I went to him first ...

Hey Kent,
Great to hear from you. The song she's referring to is "Fly Away". It's on my first A&M album called "Henry Gross" but better known as "The Yellow Album" because of the cover. It's available with my other A&M album "Plug Me Into Something" on one CD at my website: www.henrygross.com.
Rock on,
Henry





>>>Did someone actually have the Cool Heat version of Mr. Bloe on the back of the Wind 45? I always found the Wind version.  (Ken)

>>>I checked my Wind 45 last night and it does list Wind on both sides.  I also dug out the Wind album and found that the track (Groovin') was not on there.  Joan Jett did a good version of 'Make Believe' on one of her albums about 10 years later.  (Phil Nee - WRCO)

>>>I've gone through at least three copies of that 45 (LOVE the song "Make Believe" and think it should have been a SMASH!) and could have sworn that ALL of my copies showed Cool Heat on the flipside.  However, Tom Diehl has since sent me versions shown as being by both "Wind" and Cool Heat ... and (believe it or not!) by "Mr. Bloe" himself!!!  (lol)  So now I don't know WHICH is the right answer!!! Does anybody out there REALLY know for sure?!?!?  (kk)

The right answer is that basically the Cool Heat version and the Wind version were the same take, just mixed differently ... and the Cool Heat track never appeared on the back side of the Wind 45, it was always shown as Wind ... the Mr. Bloe version is a cover version from the UK.
Tom Diehl
Meanwhile, the Cool Heat version (re-released as Forward 152 a few months later) ultimately charted on its own, peaking at #89 on the Billboard Pop Singles Chart. 
To hear all THREE versions of "Groovin' With Mr. Bloe" you need only scroll back to June 9th ... or, simply click the link below:
(kk)


Have you ever listened to the intros of One Fine Day by the Chiffons and I Want to Be With You by the Raspberries? They are more than similar! You would swear they are identical!  Give them a listen and if you agree throw it out to your readers. You might get some interesting feedback!   
Steve H.     
I suppose there is SOME similarity but I don't know that it jumps right out at you.  (Kinda like "He's So Fine" and "My Sweet Lord" I guess!)  If you're into this sort of thing, you have GOT to read "Sounds Like Teen Spirit" by our FH Buddy Tim English ... he points out dozens and dozens of similar sounding records. 
 
(Of course, as we learned last week in Forgotten Hits, MOST hit songs all have the same four chords anyway!)






Hi Kent ...
Save this one for your psychedelic - disco oldie issue ...
You never hear from
Disco-Tex & His Sex-O-Lettes anymore ... lol

(I Wanna Dance Wit Choo, 1975)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=637Nmy98MMU
(gary) RENFIELD  
Actually, we covered Sir Monti Rock III a couple of years ago in pretty good detail here ... check it out!  (kk)


Dear Mr. Kent Kotal:
I read a piece in your FORGOTTEN HITS column about Break Out Hits that did not chart on the Billboard Hot 100, but did chart as Breakout Hits.  I would like to know more about this.
I am Dotty Daniels, the teen artist produced by Paul Simon on AMY Records back in 1963.  I see from your article that on 5/4/63 I may have had a Breakout Hit.  I am getting material together in preparation to write my memoirs of my life in music. If do you have any other information on my record and where it charted, I would really appreciate hearing from you.
I know it was number 1 on WAVZ, New Haven.  And would you know how I can get a copy of my record that was also recorded on AMY in 1963:  A CASUAL LOOK B/W I'M ALONE.  AMY 891?
So far, I found that the AMY Catalog was acquired by Arista.  In calling them some time ago, they would not divulge any information.  Can you help me get info on this record and possibly a copy? 
I know this is a real blast from the past, but I am interested in the Old Hits, especially, discovering in full the journey of PLAY ME A SAD SONG.  I know CASHBOX MAGAZINE  did an article on me after choosing PLAY ME A SAD SONG as a PICK HIT, possibly May 11, 1963.  It was a PICK HIT IN NYC on Jack Walker's WLIB. 
Thank you for considering my letter.
Sincerely,
Dotty Goodman,
aka DOTTY DANIELS
Hi Dotty!
We will do our best to find you some answers.  We've got quite a network of oldies music experts out there ... so let's see what they come back with!  Thanks so much for writing.  (kk)

Dear Kent:
Thanks for your reply.  I will check back often.  PLAY ME A SAD SONG had Dr. Cissy Houston and The Sweet Inspirations and Valerie Simpson of Ashford & Simpson, singing background on both sides.   Cissy was five months pregnant with Whitney when we recorded that record, so Whitney was in the oven on that record.  Also, Big Dee Irwin & Dr. Freddy Scott (Freddie Scott, HEY GIRL), were in on that recoding as Music Directors, and I think Freddie Recorded HEY GIRL later that night.
That CASH BOX interview took place around the corner from the Brill Building, and AMY sent Paul Kaufman, songwriter and friend, to the interview with me.  I was just a kid and had to be chaperoned , even on an interview.
Looking forward to whatever you might so graciously be able to find.  Much appreciated.
Sincerely,
Dotty 
Your regional break-out hit IS listed in Joel Whitburn's new "Top Pop Singles" book.  It shows as a break-out hit in the Baltimore area on June 22, 1963, with a flipside of "I Wrote You A Letter".  And, as you know by now, I've hooked you up with a guest spot on Dave The Rave's "Relics And Rarities" radio program over at Top Shelf Oldies. 

Joel Whitburn says of your record:  

Great girl group sounding recording from 1963!



Couldn't find any kind of a listing in Cash Box, however, so maybe you can send us a copy of the article / interview that they ran so we can share it with our readers!  Any other photos and/or memorabilia you'd like to share from this era would also be appreciated.  (kk)

Dear Kent,
What an awesome night! Thanks so much for all you've done. 
I reached Dave at about 2:30 AM after I saw your email.  I now have Dave's email and will send him a thank you. 
FORGOTTEN HITS, your Newsletter and your work, will never be forgotten by me.  I had the time of my life tonight and I am inspired all the more to move ahead with the memoirs.  I can't express how happy I am to have an opportunity to speak about the past magic of music.  I know I was blessed to be even a small part of such a wonderful time in music.  Again, it was wonderful to speak on the air tonight.
Appreciatively,
Dotty
Excellent!  Glad you were able to do the show.  (Since it aired so late, maybe Dave'll run a "replay" on this Saturday's show so that all of our readers can tune in and listen!)  kk

re:  THE RAPPER:
Mr. 'K' - AQ4U:
I've got a question about the song 'The Rapper' by The Jaggerz.
I distinctly remember the 45 RPM record in the jukebox, while going to high school, not having the echo parts heard here, but I do recall it receiving airplay about the same time. So, what's the scoop on this - what actually was issued as the 45 single? Promo / commercial copies differ perhaps? Did they even have an album? A stereo rendition does exist, but without the echoed portions. Everything related to the echoed version always appears on RCA/BMG or related (on CD) ...
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/images/rapper-m.mp3
Thanks!
JJ - wishing the FH crew a Happy 4th!
 
So do you think we have The Jaggerz to blame for all this rap music that's been polluting the radio airwaves for the past couple of decades???
 
Actually, I remember CLEARLY the first time I heard the "echo" version, too ... 'cause it blew me away.  I, too, bought the single when it first came out ... it was one of my favorites.  (A #2 national hit, certainly a whole BUNCH of us bought the single!!!)  And you're right ... it did NOT have the echo bits on there.
Seems to me it was many years later (and most likely on the radio) when the echo bits first started to appear ... and, quite honestly, that seems to be about the ONLY way you hear it today (when you hear it at all ... despite its #2 chart status, THIS song seems to have fallen off the oldies playlists, too!)
I never really knew WHERE that new version came from ... could have been the album version, I suppose ... or just a Kama Sutra / Buddah remix ... but once again I have to say that I prefer the version that I grew up listening to.  (They did a similar treatment with a couple of early Dave Clark Five singles, too ... which really ruined the sound of them for me!)  Pat Downey's book "Top 40 Music On Compact Disc" refers to both the LP and the 45 mix ... so it may really be as simple as this.  (I never bought their album so I can't verify.)  Can anybody out there pinpoint the recent and timing of this?  Thanks!  (kk)