Friday, March 2, 2012

The Friday Flash: On The Radio


re:  ON THE RADIO:
Kent,
First let me say I enjoyed your participation today on the "1 hit wonders show at 1" on station WRNJ. I heard what you had to say about the song FRIDAY ON MY MIND.  It seems to me that I do hear on the TOC every Friday BANG ON THE  DRUMS at various
times during the day. I don't remember hearing it this past Friday, however. 
Most of the songs by Jon and Robin were hits here in the OKC area as opposed to what they did on a national level. The song by Emitt Rhodes was one I haven't heard in a year of Sundays (time wise that's more than a month of Sundays). Mitch Ryder's WHAT NOW MY LOVE was mentioned.  I haven't heard that one on the radio again in years as well as his song JOY which also did well here in OKC.
In the column talking about Don Kirshner and his playing of Fats Domino's I'M GONNA BE A WHEEL SOMEDAY during sessions with his writers, about a year and a half earlier as I remember Bobby Mitchell's version (again on Imperial) was also a hit here in the OKC area.
Finally in your Sound advice column, you mentioned it was heart stopping going into a business and hearing a song over the intercom that you weren't expecting to hear. This happened to me twice last year. I went into a Buy For Less store here in the city. It is a grocery store and to be honest with you , I don't know if they are any in your part of the country or not. When I went in one of the songs which came out over the building was
RED HOT, the original I believe by singer Billy 'the kid' Emerson out of 1955 on Sun records. I couldn't believe what I was hearing or the reason it was being played. Sam the Sham and his Pharoahs recorded it ten years later in 1965.
Again, I enjoyed your comments on the WRNJ show today.
Larry
Thanks, Larry ... it's fun to do these shows once in a while ... and I've really got to hand it to Rich Appel, who gave me the whole hour to play some of my all-time favorite One Hit Wonders.  Sounds like the show went over pretty well ... so maybe he'll even ask me back again some day!  (kk)
 

Check the Oldies Your Way schedule on our website and learn about all the fine Dee jays and programs that we offer. Our fearless leader Tony has created a really nice place to visit. Please do so often ...
Hi Everybody!!!!!
It's time for "The Pop Shoppe". It is on every Friday night from 7 PM till 3:01 AM (eastern).
My warm up program is from 6:30 to 7:00.  Tune in!!!!!!
The Official Start of my show.
7:00 / 8:30: Music from the 50's and 60's with a touch of other years (both earlier and later). 
8:30 / 9:00:  It's ED RAMBEAU TIME again!  He is now doing program #42 and my listeners never get tired of him.  This Friday's program will feature Love Songs. You'll be swooning before he finishes. I am proud that this talented entertainer is part of my show every 2 weeks.
9:00 / 12:00:  Here I offer you 3 more hours of memories mainly from the 50's and 60's but again you might hear earlier or later years included.
12:00 / 1:30:  It's Midnight Country!  90 minutes of the country music that todays country stations don't even remember. I've got many memories for you.
1:30 / 3:01 AM:  We end the night with another 90 minutes or so of anything and everything.
My email address is:  djstu43@verizon.net
Looking forward to seeing you Friday night.
Tune in for The Greatest Songs That Ever Lived.
Remember you must be here because I don't want to be alone.
I am
Sincerely yours,
Stuart  Weiss                                
DJ STU
Use the link below to tune into our station:
(click here):  OldiesYour Way  
When you go to this site you will be directed to select the player of your choice.
This Sunday will be 4 years since the passing of Ronnie I.
Tomorrow night at 10 PM I will be doing a tribute to Ronnie.
He should never be forgotton.
Sunday night on my Doo Wop Party will be an additional tribute to Ronnie I.
Be there and don't miss these specials.
Besides "The Pop Shoppe"  I'd like to remind you that I am also here Sunday evenings from 11 PM till 2:01 AM with my Sunday Night Doo Wop Party. Just before my Sunday night show Frank Iovino and DJ Sheila are here at 9 PM with their Vocal Harmony Program. It is a great show for Doo Wop fans and leads right into my show.
 
Hey KK;
Greetings from Radio Free Nashville, where The FLip Side Radio Show plays 45s every Tuesday night and Sunday night!  I'm having a blast playing 2-sided hits from your Sound Advice suggestions.  This week I'm playing Neil Diamond's "Stones", with the B-side "Crunchy Granola Suite."  How many times do you hear that on the radio these days? I call this segment "The ForgottenHits.com Spotlight Record," and I play it during the first 30 minutes of the show every time.  (I even use some intro music from the Beatles' "HELP!" album to introduce the segment).
Thanks for plugging my show on your website!
Mr. C.

COOL!  Great to see it dedicated to the Real Don Steele too!  Did you know that the Coachmen's "Tyme Won't Change" charted on KISN? 
You can click on right and expand the actual chart copy.
While I'm at it, a new KOMA chart from 1961 has been added just yesterday! 
Clark Besch
 
Hi Kent,
I'm a faithful reader of Forgotten Hits but have never written before.  I thought you might be interested in knowing the locally legendary KISN Radio in Portland, Oregon, has just been resurrected on line at www.goodguyradio.com.  It uses the original KISN jingles plus other cool imaging, and a deep playlist of 50s, 60s, and 70s.  One of the KISN jocks from the 70s is behind the effort, and a handful of the other original KISN Good Guys are contributing voice tracks.  It's well worth a listen!
Thanks for all you do!  It's great reading!
Scott
Ironically, I was just there last night!  Clark Besch's email above included a link so I went and checked it out ... very cool stuff ... and I hope they put more of their weekly surveys up on the site!  Happy to help spread the word!  (kk)
 
Something I find truly remarkable is the fact that despite the fact that WCBS-FM is #1 in the #1 radio radio market on the planet (with a potential audience of more than 15 1/2 million), no other radio station in that market is playing oldies.  There are loads of other stations duplicating and triplicating each other with similar formats, but WCBS-FM is all alone in the category of music they've chosen to earn their success.  If THEY are that successful, why isn't there ANOTHER station in the New York market willing to tackle oldies in a big way and compete with them?  After all, the core oldies demo happens to not only be the largest and fastest-growing but the one which not only possesses the lion's share of disposable income but SPENDS IT.  It would not be all that difficult for a competing station to develop an alternative way of showcasing oldies -- including many timeless classics WCBS-FM no longer plays.  I did it as a radio programmer in L.A. -- pitting KRLA against KRTH and boosting KRLA's ratings one third in the first book alone while expanding it's demographic reach.   Is there any station in the New York market willing to cash in on the tri-state area's most popular kind of music programming?
Gary Theroux  
We've got three radio stations here in Chicago devoted to oldies right now and it makes for some interesting variety.  In addition, there are at least another half dozen spots on the dial where you're likely to hear a "vintage" tune now and again.  It seems like CBS took the "safe road" here in Chicago when they launched K-Hits ... you won't hear ANY surprises on this station!!!  Hits of the '60's, '70's and '80's (with heavy emphasis on the '80's) seems to be the mode of operation here.  (kk)
 
Meanwhile K-Hits shook up their line-up recently ... Afternoon Host Bo Reynolds is gone ... Gary Spears has taken over his spot ... and Chicago Radio Veteran Tommy Edwards is back full-time in his old mid-days spot!  Here's the way Chicagoland Media Columnist Rob Feder tells the story:
In the 40 years since he first came to Chicago, the legendary Tommy Edwards has excelled in a wide range of radio roles on and off the air. But none fit his talent or temperament more perfectly than his long run as midday personality on WLS-AM (890).
That’s why hearing him Monday work the 10 am - to -2 pm shift on CBS Radio’s classic hits
WJMK-FM (104.3) made all the sense in the world.
“This is my time of the day,” Edwards told me. “I’ve done all kinds of different shows — mornings and afternoons and all that — but midday shows are the ones that I’ve had the most success with and the ones I liked most. I feel very good about it.”
After 11 months of weekend and fill-in work at K-Hits, the Chicago radio veteran was called up to midday duty this week following Bo Reynolds’ ouster as afternoon host and Gary Spears’ shift from middays to afternoons. If program director Todd Cavanah likes what he hears, the arrangement could become permanent.
“Tommy brings a lot of knowledge and credibility to our format, and I am excited to see how he sounds on a daily basis instead of just weekends,” Cavanah said.
It’s hard to imagine a better fit in middays for a station that bills itself as The Greatest Hits of the ’60s, ’70s and ’80s. “The music’s my music,” Edwards said of the K-Hits format. “It’s what I played at ’LS. I certainly know it. One of the things that Todd mentioned to me is that he appreciates when I offer my insight or give details about some of the songs or the artists I play. That’s the kind of stuff I love to do.”
 
And kudos to Scott Shannon ... who's now part of the Nominating Committee for The Hit Parade Hall Of Fame!!!
Welcome Scott Shannon!
Legendary radio programmer Scott Shannon has accepted an invitation to join the nominating committee of the Hit Parade Hall of Fame.  In making the announcement, project creator John Rook said, "Scott's appreciation of recording artists lives through his "True Oldies," a nationally syndicated stage where the music of the Hit Parade Hall of Fame is heard round the clock.  He brings a wealth of knowledge to our group." 
Scott Shannon is a celebrated radio personality and programmer. Named the “Most Influential Programmer of the Past 20 Years” in a survey of his peers by Radio & Records, he’s also been honored five times as “Programmer of the Year” by Billboard Magazine. Scott has been inducted into the National Broadcaster’s Hall of Fame in Washington D.C., the National Radio Hall of Fame in Chicago and is also in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. Since 1991, Scott has been Program Director and morning co-host at WPLJ-FM in New York City. 
He is also heard across the U.S. on the syndicated Scott Shannon’s True Oldies Channel, for which he won a Marconi Award as “Syndicated Personality of the Year” in 2010. Prior to his time at ‘PLJ, Scott developed the “Morning Zoo” format in Tampa, built New York’s Z-100 into a Top 40 powerhouse and launched Pirate Radio in Los Angeles. He is also an acknowledged authority on music from early rock ‘n roll to today’s hits.
 
Rook also tells us this Dick Biondi story from long ago ...
Kent,
"Why did I let Dick Biondi go when I consulted WCFL" you ask. I've been asked that many times and only recently realized I had offered some insight into my Biondi experience a few years ago upon witting the KFI chapter of "Passing Thru"
where it tells of the lesson I learned from Biondi and how I had hoped it wouldn't repeat itself at KFI with LA's legendary "Sweet Dick Whittington".
I'd been a giant fan of Dick Biondi ever since I first heard him on WLS in the early 60's.
In hiring Larry Lujack from WLS, I envisioned Dick Biondi once again becoming the nation's night time pied piper he once was on WLS. Following Super Jock Lujack in afternoon drive, Biondi would have started off with a huge audience and built even more
on it was my plan for SuperCFL.  Instead, I was fortunate having Big Ron O'Brien at KTLK in Denver ready for the big time of Chicago, where he soared in the ratings before doing the same thing in Los Angeles and Philadelphia. But I never got over not meeting Dick Biondi and at least letting him know what I fan I am.
John Rook
From "Passing Thru":
I had never met Sweet Dick Whittington but had been a fan of his since I first heard him years earlier on a small valley radio station, KGIL. It didn’t surprise me when he moved up to KFI. Within my first day or two, virtually all of the station’s talent, Hilly Rose, Ron McCoy, Larry Van Nuys, Morgan Williams, Bruce Wayne, Lohman and Barkley, came by my office to introduce themselves.  
Everyone that is - except Sweet Dick.
He ignored my requests for a simple introduction, a sad reminiscent of an earlier  experience with Dick Biondi, who bolted from WCFL without even meeting me upon learning I had hired Larry LuJack from rival WLS. Remembering that experience, I took the time to write a note to Whittington letting him know how much I looked forward to meeting and working with him. But there was still no response from my afternoon star.  By the end of a week, I left a final note explaining I would appreciate it if he could drop by for a quick hello before his show. I waited for a response or perhaps a phone call suggesting a more convenient time. I nervously glanced at the clock and noticed it was ticking down to just a few minutes before Sweet Dick’s airtime. Biggie stuck his head in my door asking, “no sweet dick yet?” “Unfortunately not”, I said, rising from behind my desk. I decided the time had come to meet my evasive charge at the studio door. Luckily Bob Shannon was standing by to fill in for a few minutes as I positioned myself at the studio door to greet Dick.  
At the last second, bounding up the steps to the studio came Sweet Dick as he looked up to see me offering my hand to shake in introduction. “I don’t have time now,” he said reaching for the studio door.         
“Sure you do Dick,” I said explaining Shannon would be covering his opening minutes on the air. Like a volcano he stormed out of the station vowing never to return as long as I was program director. 
Almost a dozen years passed before Sweet Dick and I actually met again at KABC where we buried the hatchet from earlier days in the ashes of the past. 
-- John Rook
Yikes!!!  The massive egos of the glory hey-days of Top 40 Radio!!!  (Today most of these guys would KILL for the chance to be back on the air!!!)  Just showed you what you could get away with during the days when radio truly WAS king!!!  Thanks, John!  (kk)