Saturday, May 25, 2013

Coppock Comments

re: REACTION TO COPPOCK'S TOPICS:  
Good response to this one ... everyone seemed to have their own ideas and opinions about some of Chet's musings! And as we see EVERY TIME we run something like this, everybody's got their own opinion regarding the music that touched them. (kk)   

>>>You may love him ... or you may hate him ... but you sure as hell can't ignore him!!! (lol) We've got a brand new edition of Coppock's Topics ... today in Forgotten Hits! (kk) 

Thanks for the warning. 
Annonymous 

Well, I love Him ... and I don't want to ignore Him ... that's the most fun I've had reading in a long time!
Stacee

Love Coppock's Topics -- keep 'em coming!
Bob



Kent,
Terrific group of ad hoc comments from Chet Coppock -- as usual, he's nearly always on the money. Couldn't agree more with "Talk Talk", and with his just compensation for listening to "Jack and Diane". Too funny. I'll have to get en e-mail out to him with congrats for his induction to the Hall of Fame.
Rick Barr  

I've shared some of my first thoughts on Chet's comments below ... and by the way, keep 'em cummin.
Bill   

Hi Kent!
How's it going?
I like Chet's stuff. He sure knows his music.
His comments on Steve Miller, Owner of a Lonely Heart, Eddie Kendricks and others were spot on!
By the way, thank Chester for mentioning "Talk Talk." I can't get the damned song out of my head. It's been playing in there on a loop all day.
Thank you
Steve Sarley
THE OUTDOORS EXPERIENCE WIND 560-AM Sunday at 5 a.m. or 24/7 at www.oexperience.com

Hi Kent:
Is this a collection of Chet Coppock comments from over the last few months? Or did he actually write it all out like that for you? It reads like a hilarious, musical stream of consciousness trip. I love it!
Larz

http://www.ChicagolandRadioAndMedia.com
Random ramblings ... but a whole lotta fun!  (kk)


And then, as some of you are prone to do ... taking things point-by-point ...

Hi, double k ...
If Elton John was on the square, wouldn’t he admit that he overdosed on "Bennie and the Jets" and "Philadelphia Freedom" at least 18 years ago? Bar None - hands down - E.J's most underrated song has got to be "Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny)", his stirring tribute to John Lennon. (Chet Coppock)
Neil Sedaka's "Immigrant" is better. (Clark Besch)
I liked "Empty Garden" ok ... while I never thought it was one of Elton's best, I liked the heart-felt message. And it's one of his that hasn't been played to death over the years. (kk)
That one did its time, at least in MN., as being very overplayed. I used to love it, but it's right in there with Benny and Philadelphia. (Bill)   


Every time I hear "Owner of Lonely Heart", I hear a call from the I.R.S. about a tax audit or fingernails grinding into a blackboard. Did Yes really like that misplaced piece of junk? (Chet Coppock)
I like that song. I would go with Journey's "Don't Stop Believing'" or many others by them ... or most Lionel Ritchie (funny that my spell check chose "retched") songs too. (Clark Besch)
I was never a very big Yes fan ... consequently, my favorite songs by them are the ones that don't sound like them!!! (If that makes any sense!) As such, "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" is my all-time favorite ... I absolutely LOVE that song! (Others include "Long Distance Runaround", "Lift Me Up" and "Leave It". In fact, I think "Lift Me Up" deserved to be every bit as big a hit as "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" ... yet "Heart" went to #1 and "Life Me Up" never rose any higher than #86!) I can listen to the obvious ones ("Your Move", "Roundabout", "America" ... and their oddly-arranged version of The Beatles' tune "Every Little Thing") but it was latter-day / comeback Yes that caught my ear. (kk)

(When's the last time you heard THAT one?!?!?)  kk

Book it ... If Classic Rock Radio ran weddings, the bride and groom would leave the alter to Steve Miller doing "Abracadabra." I'm not kidding. Frankly, waking up to Steve Miller is like waking up in the Joliet Correctional Center. (Chet Coppock)
"Abracadabra" is a TOTAL EMBARRASSMENT to that guy's career! Horrible! (Clark Besch)   

Did anybody ever do more with less than Gary Glitter? (Chet Coppock)  
Much like Queen's "We Will Rock You", Gary created a worldwide sporting event anthem ... which has since been totally eclipsed by Gary's fondness for little boys.  (kk)

This may sound like a reach, but hear me out ... Think about the edgy falsetto Eddie Kendricks brought to the original Temptations. Think about Eddie on "Get Ready", the song that truly woke up white America to the Temps. Now, have you heard Usher? I think the guy is outta sight. His vocal range is magnificent. I truly believe he could have filled the Kendricks spot with Motown's greatest group - had he been born a mere 40 years earlier. (Chet Coppock) 
Usher? Yep. Great voice, just not half the quality of material that the Temps had. (Bill)   

Stop! Think about Cannibal and the Headhunters. If their hit "Land of One Thousand Dances" doesn't define "garage band" rock, I don’t know what does. (Chet Coppock)
Is it because Cannibal cannot sing on key or the drummer cannot keep time with his beat? A song doesn't have to be performed badly to be garage, y'know? Garage songs CAN be done well, just not in this case. (Clark Besch)
Land of 1,000 Dances, Garage Rock? Nope.
R&B, OK. Garage Rock No. (Bill)    

After all these years, the New Colony Six have a right to be ticked off. Why? Because Mercury never gave their melodically beautiful material the big "push." The Colony should have been bigger than the Association. Man, I felt like the coolest young dude in the world when I was traveling as a roadie with the Colony when we played Don Webster's "Teen Beat" in Cleveland and Jerry Blavat's TV gig, "Geator with the Heator" in Philly. (Chet Coppock)  

Thanks to Chet for the mention above and to you for running with it, Kent. Wonder if Tony Orlando does “I’m Just Waitin’” in his shows? (Ray Graffia, Jr.)  
Would have loved being there too! You got a great seat on that joy ride! Would have loved hearing "Sun Within You" live. (Clark Besch)  
"Geator with the Heator", Now that's cool. Wish I could have been there for that one. (Bill)  
This had to be an INCREDIBLY exciting time.  And don't forget, The New Colony Six are performing tomorrow in McHenry ... and the event will be filmed for future broadcast.  Scroll back to Friday's Flash for all the details.  (Let's just say that you're more likely to hear "I'm Just Waitin', Anticipatin' (For Her To Show Up)" at THIS show than you are at a Tony Orlando concert!!!)  kk



Let's face it. When Little Richard sang, "Good Golly Miss Molly … sure like to ball" in the 50's, White America had absolutely no idea what the guy was talking about. (Chet Coppock)
For the first time ever, kids had music of their own ... music that spoke directly to them. No, most white folks had no idea what Little Richard was singing about ... which makes it all that much more hilarious when you think that pure, whitebread artists like Pat Boone were covering these tunes! 
That being said, I will maintain till the day I die that rock and roll music did more to end racial tension than any civil rights leader or president ever did ... it bridged the gap and united a whole new generation of fans of what feel goods ... and if that included "ballin'", all the better!  (kk)

I'd give a hundred bucks or issue my football picks for the 2013 season - at no charge - to hear any classic radio station play the Music Machine's raging "Talk Talk." "I got me a complication and it's an only child." (Chet Coppock)
Looks like Bob Stroud will be happy his show on Sundays gets over early enough to make it to Soldier Field on time! (Clark Besch)
This one's for you, Steve Sarley!!!  (kk)
 


Thinking about seeing Jimi Hendrix with Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding at the Civic Opera House as they toured off the "Experience" album back in, I believe, '67. May well be the most simple, but most engaging rock show I've ever seen. For the record, "The Soft Machine" warmed up the crowd. Jerry G. Bishop was the emcee. The post show party featured blondes and Ganja. However, the Stones in '73 at the Amphitheatre with Stevie Wonder in the leadoff spot was an education in where rock was and where it was going. (Chet Coppock)
>>>However, the Stones in '73 at the Amphitheatre with Stevie Wonder in the leadoff spot was an education in where rock was and where it was going. 
GREAT statement! (Clark Besch)
I saw all three shows that the Stones and Stevie Wonder played at the Amphitheater. Wonder came back on stage and played the encores with Mick and the boys. The arena was hot and you could cut the cloud of weed smoke with the proverbial knife. When Keith hit the first guitar notes of "Brown Sugar," the opening number, it felt like being electrocuted. It was so freaking exciting. (Steve Sarley)


Stevie's "Black Man" off "Songs in the Key of Life" should be played in every public school in every major urban market on God's earth. (Chet Coppock)
That'll happen when the Chicago schools pull out the Chicago Wooden Nickel record label's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWgY4JIkenI


Now, be honest, if the temps are above 68 degrees and you hear the Kings knock down rocker, "This beat goes on - switch into glide", do you roll the windows down and begin singing along? (Chet Coppock)
It's "Switchin' to Glide" but I'd choose Balance's "Breaking Away" instead in this case. (Clark Besch)
I've always found this song irresistible ... from the very first time I heard it! This should have been a MONSTER hit!!! (kk)
The tribute band I am in did Switch in to Glide a couple years ago. Some of them are 80's kids and thought it would kill live. It pretty much flopped. They were surprised. I thought it was a dud to begin with. (Bill)



If you know this one, you’re way ahead of me. What's the "Syndicate of Sound" been doing in its spare time since they scored big with "Little Girl" in 1966. (Chet Coppock)
IF you really want to know: http://www.syndicateofsoundband.com/
Wouldn't YOU be more interested in what the Revelles of Chicago have been doing since THEIR non-hit "Little Girl" in 1967? They were a Chitown supergroup. Barry Goldberg, Fred Glickstein, Bruce Gordon, Isaac Guillory, Les Kummel, Chuck Jobes went thru their ranks from Cave Dwellers into Revelles into Blue Berri. I think you know some of these names well, right? (Clark Besch)

I know Rod Stewart, my favorite rocker, had to change with the times. But do you suppose he gets queasy when he hears "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" (Chet Coppock)


I imagine Steve Dahl feels the same way about "Do You Think I'm Disco"!!!  (kk)
I know I do. I'd rather hear his Small Faces 45 A side debut "Around the Plynth" anyday! 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n14IYeKPQCs 
Rod at his best and the 1969 stereo is fun!


If the Newbeats were on tour could you resist going to see them? Good God, "Bread and Butter" is inching towards its 50th anniversary. (Chet Coppock)  

Just to see that voice come out of the big guy Larry Henley is something to behold! (Clark Besch)


I need to mention this to you and all your pals. Every time I hear J. Geils' horrific "Centerfold", I feel like I'm somehow avoiding the eventuality of post concussion syndrome. (Chet Coppock)

Try this VERY COOL Geils B side to clear your head: (Clark Besch)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y97XDDu52ug Regarding J. Geils, yes, "Centerfold" was a mistake, but I have to insist that J. Geils was the best live act I've ever seen. I'd love to see them open for Bon Jovi at Soldier Field in June. (Steve Sarley)
Tell you what ... I was driving home the other night and "Love Stinks" came on the radio ... and I cranked it to the max.  Must have been the right song at the right moment ... but man, it sounded good!!!  (kk)

I'd like your support. I want to implement a new rule that every time we're forced to hear "Jack and Diane" we should get to hear Bob Seger's majestic "Roll Me Away" at least three times. (Chet Coppock)
I'd support it IF and only IF we never got to hear either of them ever again. I really could do without ANY Cougar songs now and Seger's would have to be only songs that were on Cameo Parkway such as the TSW "Persecution Smith" b/w "Chain Smokin'. Now THAT is REAL SEGER! (Clark Besch) Honestly, I could live without BOTH of these guys for about five years ... give me a chance to appreciate their music again! (kk)


Have to run, I think there might be a song by Journey coming up. (Chet Coppock)  

I'm sure you meant that there might be "Journey to the Center of the Mind" coming up, right? You need to check your typo's, they could get you an earful! 
I think "Journey To The Center Of The Mind" probably gets played a ratio of about once to every 35,000 Journey songs right now ... let's just say there is no "Escape" from Journey on the radio these days ... some of these songs get played more now than they did when they were out!!! (kk)

Hey ... at least we got some reaction!!! Thanks, everybody, for being good sports! (kk)   

Kent, 
My most sincere thanx ... 
Chester