Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Some Tuesday Treats

re:  HELPING OUT OUR READERS:  
Just got this one from legendary Chicagoland Jock Chuck Buell ... would love to get him this information if anyone on the list happens to know ...  
Hey, Kent,    
Hope this finds things going well for you!  
Here's a "Forgotten Hits" question from me!  
Do you have, or do you know where one could find, a list of the Radio Guys who tagged or introduced the famous Coca Cola Pop Singers and Groups Radio spots of the 1960s and 1970s?  
Appreciate any info.  
Thanx!  
Chuck Buell 
I know we've got a ton of Coke Ad Commercials Collectors out there ... anybody able to help out with this one?  (kk)   


re:  EYDIE GORME:  
Hey Kent,
I am saddened by the passing of Eydie Gorme. I used to get a big kick out of her "Tonight Show" appearances, when she'd get the giggles before singing a song with the band. Sometimes it would take five or six starts! Her other Bossa Nova song, besides "Blame it on the Bossa Nova", that I enjoy, is "Can't Get Over the Bossa Nova".  My favorite of all her recordings is "I Want You to Meet My Baby". I wonder who played sax on the track. I really don't know how far the two songs charted. And, about her husband, Steve Lawrence, you can't really appreciate his voice until you hear him live. He sure has a great, deep, vocal resonance. When I saw him, he performed his own great styling of Michael Jackson's, "She's Out of My Life".
- John LaPuzza
 

"Can't Get Over The Bossa Nova" (obviously an attempt to cash in on the success of her Top Ten Hit) peaked at #87 in Billboard Magazine.  The flipside of that record is "I Want You To Meet My Baby", which fared a little better, peaking at #43.  (kk)   

re:  SAIL ROCK:  
Hi Kent
Thanks for supporting this tour. It's our first year out and we hope we get to do it again.  Thank you for the very nice review.
Lance Hoppen
Orleans   

Hi Kent;
Glad you enjoyed the show.  We do have a fun time. Thanks for all the kind things you had to say.
Blessings,
John Ford Coley   

I wish I could have seen the Sail Rock concert - it just sounds like such a great time.  Your review made me feel as though I was there, all the way down to the drunk couple dancing in front of you.  (Been there, seen that)  Seriously though, your descriptive commentary and recap of the set list was the next best thing to being there.  Thank you.
Sharon
It was a great show ... non-stop fun from start to finish.  And, if you read Lance Hoppen's comment above, they're all hoping to keep it going ... so get on on to support this show ... lots of great dates are still coming up.  (kk)   

Tonight (Tuesday, August 13th) - Mayo Performing Arts Center - Morrisontown, NJ 
Tomorrow Night  (Wednesday, August 14th) - The Indiana State Fair
Thursday, August 15th - The Family Arena - St. Charles, MO
Wednesday, August 21st - Sandy City Amphitheater - Sandy, UT
Saturday, August 24th - Sunrise Marketplace Outdoor Pavilion - Citrus Heights, CA
Friday, September 20th - Starlight Theatre - Kansas City, MO
Tuesday, October 8th - Norfolk County Fair - Simcoe, ON, Canada   

Thank you so much for your review and set list - I was there Saturday Night and couldn't hear a thing. We were out on the lawn with a blanket and the echo was so bad I had a headache afterwards.  I'm not sure what the sound was bouncing off of but it was like hearing the show on a seven-second tape delay, only to have those sounds played back to you two or three more times on top of the new sounds that were just first reaching you.  I have to say that it was a very disappointing experience.  It sounds like your seats were MUCH better than ours!
Jim Nash
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that.  I can only speak from my own personal experience (and yes, my seats were AWESOME ... dead center, four rows back, right in front of the stage ... had my arms been six feet longer I could have reached out and touched the lead singer of every act that performed that night!!!)  That's discouraging to hear as the venue was beautiful ... everything is so fresh and new ... and the staff that I talked to Saturday Night are quite proud of their new concert park.  (I have had that echo experience however ... the worst is at the Elk Grove Village concerts ... if you don't get there early and get stuck between the buildings, the echo will literally drive you nuts ... it truly renders the concert unlistenable.  Truth be told, I've gotten up and left a couple of time simply because the sound was so bad.)  From my vantage point, however, I can only give RiverEdge Park the highest marks for cleanliness and hospitality.  (You may want to invest in the VIP seats next time around!)  kk   

You're right about that Firefall record, 'tho it does sound far different than their other songs.
-- BOB FRABLE 
 


Excellent review!  Other than Dupree, these were all favorites of mine, especially Player’s This Time I’m In It For Love, which spent that summer fighting with Heatwave’s The Groove Line for my #1. 
CW Martin
As for the King Harvest thing, Wiki says this:
Drummer Wells Kelly first met John Hall, an in-demand session player and member of the group Kangaroo, in the late 60s when he played with him in a group called Thunderfrog and later played on John's first solo album, Action, released in 1970. In 1969 Wells joined the first incarnation of King Harvest, who would have a hit a few years later, in 1973, with the song "Dancing In The Moonlight", a song written by Wells' brother, Sherman Kelly, and first recorded by Boffalongo, a group Wells joined in 1970 after leaving King Harvest.   
CW
I knew that some of the members of King Harvest were tied in with Mike Love's band "Celebration", who had the minor hit "Almost Summer" back in 1978.  (The song went to #28 in Billboard and was the title track to the movie of the same name starring Bruno Kirby.)  Celebration included Ron Altback and Doc Robinson, both members of King Harvest during their "Dancing In The Moonlight" period.  In fact, if I remember correctly, King Harvest used to open some show for The Beach Boys back then.  (kk)

Sounds like Sail Rock was a great show.  While I may never have been interested enough in any of these acts to shell out my hard-earned money to go and see them during the hit years, I will admit that the idea of having all of these artists together in one setting is somewhat appealing ... and it sounds like you witnessed a non-stop hit assault of music.  Now I'm wishing I would have sprung for the tickets!
Rich
I'll tell you what ... these guys played for two hours straight, non-stop ... 24 legitimate hits in a row ... and I'm not talking hit medleys here ... you got the full-length (and, in some cases, expanded length) edition of every hit record ... and it was all songs you know by heart.  I was lucky enough to have seen Christopher Cross and John Ford Coley before ... so I pretty much knew what to expect in concert ... but the bonus addition of Orleans, Firefall, Gary Wright, Player and Robbie Dupree was the icing on the cake.  It was a GREAT show ... and one well worth seeing if it hits your area.  (kk)


re:  THE BILLBOARD HOT 100:
Kent ...
This one should start a few debates.
Frank B.
 

Click here: Hot 100 55th Anniversary: The All-Time Top 100 Songs | Billboard
Yes, we ran this list a week ago.  Scroll back to August 5th to get my take on the results.  (See, this is why you have to read Forgotten Hits EVERY day!!!)  kk

re:  CLEAR HISTORY:
Kent ...
Don't know how you feel about Larry David (Seinfeld & Curb Your Enthusiasm) but I watched his new HBO movie "Clear History." It's a little bit on the dirty side (Sex Talk).  Very funny. They talk about Chicago (The Band) throughout the movie.
Opening scene = Cop stops Larry for drunk driving. His car was weaving.  He wasn't drunk ... he was singing along with "25 Or 6 To 4."
Some Chicago members make a brief appearance in this movie. (Not Singing).
If you watch it, let me know what you think.
Frank B.
Our FH Buddy Tom Cuddy has been talking about this one for months now ... we finally had a chance to see it Sunday afternoon and it's a very funny movie (in a typical low-key / Larry David sort of way).  Great Chicago music throughout ... in fact, the film presents sort of an "oral history" of the band.  (lol)  Funny stuff.  Check it out if you get the chance ... running now on HBO and HBO On Demand.  (kk)   

re:  CHET'D BE PROUD:
Did any of you stick it out to the finale of "Magic City" on Starz???  The crime drama left a lot of balls up in the air at the end of its second season ... but over the closing credits they blasted Wayne Cochran's "Goin' Back To Miami", which is were the whole late '50's / early '60's drama takes place.  Another strong season ... but the inclusion of one of Chet Coppock's favorites is what brought a smile to my face.  Where on earth are you EVER going to hear THAT one?!?!?  (kk)