Thursday, June 5, 2014

Thursday This And That

re:  Tommy Roe ... And The Triple Crown!:
Hi Kent ... 
I thought you might be interested in hearing my new single, released on Monday, June 2nd.
This is a song I wrote with my long time friend Mike Borchetta called "California Chrome." It's a song about the California-bred dream horse running for the triple crown at Belmont on June 7th. I recorded two versions, one pre-race which I am sending with this email, and one post-race if he wins. Hope you enjoy and if he wins I will send you the winning version.
Thanks,
Tommy Roe
Thanks, Tommy!  Here's hoping he wins!!!  (I wanna hear the other one!!!  lol) 
Forgotten Hits subscribers got an exclusive, sneak peek premier of this track earlier in the week ... and who knows, it just may become quite a collectors' item!  If Chrome wins The Triple Crown, Tommy's revamped "Winners Version" will be the official single release, making this pre-race track (get it?!?!) obsolete.  So hold on to your copy! 
Meanwhile, for those who haven't heard it yet, here's "California  Chrome" by Tommy Roe.  (And be sure to check the racing results this weekend!!!)  kk



Dear Kent,
Thanx for sending me Tommy's effort. As you know, it'll be a while before I'm named president of Mr. Roe's fan club, but this tune is terrific ... completely enjoyable.  I loved the hooks and the melody is catchy.
This does bother me ... I doubt Tommy's song will get much air play. Ask yourself which station is going to add the tune to its play list?
Now, let's go back 40-odd years to Secretariat, "Big Red", prepping for the Belmont. I have no doubt both 'LS and 'CFL would have made the record "happen" on their play lists.
My sincere congrats to Tommy Roe.
Chet Coppock
Host: Chicago Blackhawks Heritage Series
Host: Notre Dame Football, WLS Radio
Tommy personally told me to make sure that you got a copy of this ... "be sure to give it to your sports guy in Chicago"!  (lol)  Hey, maybe you can feature it on YOUR show and drum up a little interest.
Sadly, you're right ... there are SO many great artists out there that are STILL making great music after all these years ... yet radio won't give them the time of day.  (How did artists make "comebacks" back in our day?!?  SOMEBODY had to give 'em a shot and let the fans decide.)
Tommy's latest CD has some GREAT music on it ... and it has won some critical awards ... but the days of instant success and gratification seem to have disappeared in favor of 13 year old girls making home-made YouTube videos in their bedroom, singing into a hair brush.  When an artist like Paul McCartney can't even get his new stuff played on the air, you know just how badly the deck is stacked against some of these other acts and artists.  The real satisfaction for me is knowing that they're still doing it ... doing what they love ... and making good music  That's why we try so hard to promote these tracks here.  Over the past ten years or so we have "sneak peeked" more tracks than ever ... because the artists and PR guys know that radio simply isn't going to play them.  At least "leaking" a track through Forgotten Hits reaches the proper target audience!!!  (kk)
It pains me that artists we dug so much growing up can't get the time of day ... I really dug Tommy's song ... he's come along way from "Dizzy."
See ya soon,
Chester
Yes, the times have definitely changed.  (Do they even give out gold and platinum awards anymore???) LOTS of buzz going on about the possibility of a Triple Crown Winner being in our midst.  I think if we can get enough people to play and listen to Tommy's new tune, we just may see it turn Solid Chrome!  (kk)   

Thanks! This is very nice. Tommy sounds great, and it's very well done.
David Lewis    

Thanks Kent. Looks like Tommy went from fast girls (Sheila & Hazel) to fast horses.  I'd like to hear Tommy sing about the horse running in the Belmont, trying for the Triple Crown. When I play the Chicago song I call it = "Saturday At Belmont Park".
Frank B.    

Hi Kent, 
Loved hearing “California Chrome.”  I spent many years in Sacramento (Chromes' “home town), so the fact that he is so close to the Triple Crown fills me with pride.  
Tom 

That was interesting ... thanks for sending!
Stacee

Say Kent, thanks for being a Sweet Pea and emailing me that Tommy Roe track ... waiting to hear it was making me Dizzy.
Thanks,
Brad

Hi Kent,
I would LOVE to hear Tommy Roe's newest future hit!!!  My maiden name is Roe, and I always told all the kids in school that he was my cousin (you never know, I could be!!! I've done genealogy for over 30 years, and Imight be able to figure out where he fits in!)  I know I'm asking a lot, but could you tell him my story about telling everyone that he was my cousin, lol. 
Kim Roe-Kester
Aka Amzng Moonie
I'm not so sure Tommy would be "thrilled" with your secret identity ... but he'll probably read it right here in Forgotten Hits!  (kk)


re:  This And That:
Did you happen to watch The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony?  I've yet to see the whole thing all the way through (it runs about 3 1/2 hours!  and, quite honestly, there are parts of this that I couldn't care less about!) ... but I DID happen to catch Daryl Hall's acceptance speech the other day and enjoyed it so much, I wanted to share it with you. (You're preachin' to the choir on this one, Daryl ... but we're with you 200%!)
 
Speaking of Philadelphia, you know I did some research and do you know that we're the only home-grown Philadelphia band that has been put in The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame?
Now I'm not sayin' that because I'm proud of that ... I'm sayin' that because that's fucked up!
What happened to Todd Rundgren, The Stylistics, The Delphonics, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, Lenny Barry ... Chubby Checker ... how 'bout the biggest single in the history of the world, Chubby Checker ... why isn't HE in it, huh?
So I'm callin' everybody out ... there better be more Philadelphia artists in this place, OK?
Now that's all I've got to say.
-- Daryl Hall   

Speaking of awards, congratulations to Tom Jones, who will be receiving The Silver Clef Award for the SECOND TIME!  Jones is being honored for his nearly half-century career as a performer.  Other two-time recipients include Eric Clapton, Annie Lennox, Take That and The Who.
The 73 year old Welsh singer has gone "from strength to strength, sustaining his popularity as a live performer and recording artist for more than four decades.  He has lent his voice to every form of popular music, from gospel to country and from dance to rock, selling over 100 million records in the process."
Sarah Edge, director of Sony Mobile UK said, "Sir Tom is a living legend.  Not only has his music brought pleasure to many people, he has also used his music and influence to benefit many charities over the years.  We are honoured to present him with the Sony Mobile Lifetime Achievement Award."
Jones said (of winning the award) "To be presented with the Lifetime Achievement Award is a great honour and to be amongst the other fantastically talented artists is a real pleasure."
Previous winners include Paul McCartney, Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne, Coldplay, Oasis, The Clash, George Michael, Robert Plant, Sting, David Bowie, Elton John and Phil Collins.  (kk)

I had the pleasure of listening to a very enjoyable night of music the other night when Rich Daniels and the City Lights Orchestra performed right here Schaumburg.  The orchestra featured any number of guest vocalists (including Disco Queen and five-time Grammy Nominee Linda Clifford as well as Bruce Mattey of The New Colony Six, who has been performing with these guys for years!)  It was a wide array of musical styles ... everything from disco to Neil Diamond ... show tunes from "Chicago" and "Phantom of the Opera" ... a tribute to Frank Sinatra ... and much, much more.  It really made for a swinging time ... and I'm hoping to catch them again before the summer's over.  (A great way to spend an evening on a cool summer night!)
Special Guests that night were Bruce's fellow bandmates Ray Graffia, Jr. and Greg Favata.  (The New Colony Three???)  They sang the group's '60's smash "I Will Always Think About You" (which sounded amazing with the full orchestra backing) as well as their Chicago Gold Medley (featuring the music of The Cryan' Shames, The American Breed, The Buckinghams, The Shadows of Knight and The Ides Of March.  I'll tell you what ... that orchestra was REALLY enjoying playing "Vehicle" the other night ... they ought to keep this one in the set!)   kk 
Many of their dates are corporate events or private affairs ... but Bruce tells me that they DO have another gig coming up in the area in August:
We have another out door concert in Evergreen Park Sunday, 8-17, 6 to 8 pm, located about two blocks South of 95th Street on Homan Avenue at the Klein Parkk band shell.  Bring a chair or blanket.  This is a nice neighborhood annual event. (Music only so byo beverage, too.)
I really appreciate your message and very glad you liked the presentation. 
Thanks again and stay well,
-- Bruce   

And, speaking of the New Colony Six ... 

>>>I am  standing in a bank in Cleveland, Ohio. They have Muzak playing I Confess by the New Colony Six.  Does not get better than this!  (Clay)
How cool is that, Kent?  Please thank Clay for sending his note and extend even more kudos for his recognition of “I Confess” AND knowing it was New Colony Six performing it!  Clearly, Clay is quite the connoisseur of quirky music, or perhaps grew up in Chicago.  I heard “I Will Always Think About You” a few weeks ago during brunch at the Cary Diner and hear something of ours at least every 2nd or 3rd time we visit a Portillo’s, so Dick must be a fan or the programmers who put together his song lists must be, eh?
Ray Graffia, Jr.
Actually, I hear your stuff quite often at Portillo's, too!  Clay worked for a number of distributors back in the day and regularly processed orders for New Colony Six singles as they were being released in the '60's!  A VERY knowledgeable guy ... with (OBVIOUSLY) very good taste in music!  (kk)     

"Danbury Fields Forever" extends early-bird ticket discounts in honor of Sir Paul McCartney's Birthday this month
The New York / New England regional Music Festival for Beatles fans will "come together" Saturday, July 26 and Sunday, July 27, 2014, at Ives Concert Park in Danbury, CT, with 10 bands playing each day from Noon - 8 pm.  The 20 different acts will be playing songs from every era of The Beatles' legacy, including their Hamburg / Cavern beginnings and BBC-Sullivan years right up to Pepper / Abbey Road and beyond, plus solo career cuts. Producers are previewing the performers' set-lists to ensure that the same songs won't be repeated daily. 
Early-bird discounted are available from https://danburyfieldsforeveriii.eventbrite.com.
Fans coming both days have the option of staying at area hotels offering a special festival rate of only $79 per night. Visit: http://www.fab4musicfestival.com/hotels.htm. For entertainment line-ups or further info, visit website www.Fab4MusicFestival.com or call (203) 795-4737.   

Lovely tribute to your graduating Daughter.
Boy, am I a DORK ... I said that Maurice's Daughter and Barry sang "First of May" on the Sunday morning program when, in fact, it was "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" ... Senior moment and, when you think about it, the correct song makes much more sense.
Stacee
Paige is the "baby of the family" so everyone keeps referring to us as "empty nesters" now ... so yes, this is a bit of an emotional moment for us.  Meanwhile the graduation ceremony went off flawlessly so now we're all on to the next chapter of our lives.

 Dad and Grad

As for Barry Gibb, I'm just glad I got to see the clip ... I wish I could have seen the concert but it just wasn't affordable at those ticket prices.  I'm glad the crowd reaction has been as good as it has.  Wow ... a thirty song set!  I wouldn't have figured!  (kk)

Kent ...
The Rolling Stones were #1 on your post of Billboard's biggest grossing acts of the past 24 years.
We just celebrated the 50th Anniversary of their first arrival in America.
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stones-american-arrival/
Frank B.

On June 8th, Harvey Kubernik will be the guest interview subject and discuss his Turn Up The Radio! Pop, Rock and Roll in Los Angeles 1956 - 1972 book on Sunday night June 8th at 8:00 pm (PST) on the radio program Head Room, hosted by 
Barry Smolin on KPFK-FM (90.7).’ Listen world wide in real time at www.kpfk.org 
"Tune into Head Room for a weekly two hours of exploratory rock and roll designed to lubricate your mind: vintage and contemporary psychedelic music along with hefty doses of local bands and solo artists currently making the scene in L.A." --KPFK-FM   

Kent ...
Just before 7 AM (EDT) Scott Shannon asked the contest question =
What 1967 Hit, that was #1 for 4 weeks opened with the line "It was the 3rd of June" --
Woman on the phone continued singing "another sleepy, dusty, delta day."
She answered the question right and won concert tickets.
Scott played a small portion of the song, explaining "It doesn't fit our format so I can't play the whole song."
A few minutes later, he gets a text from Broadway Bill Lee (Afternoon DJ),  questioning his manhood. Now Scott says he will play the whole song, "Ode To Billie Joe", shortly after 9 AM. I guess I won't be hearing "El Paso" anytime soon.
Frank B.
Yeah, we haven't featured this one in a couple of years now ... for a while there, it was an annual tradition.  I did ask a couple of people at work if they took a moment to remember Billy Joe McAllister on the third of June ... after a moment's reflection, they got it ... one even cursed me out for sticking this song in her head for the rest of the day ... but "Ode To Billie Joe" ... big as it was ... is yet another MONSTER hit that has disappeared from the airwaves. (kk)