Monday, November 10, 2014

Helping Out Our Readers

We haven't done one of these in awhile ... but we HAVE stock piled a few requests ...    

Your reader that was looking for an early 60's guy / girl song could be thinking of Birdlegs & Pauline and the 1963 song called Spring.  Even though it was a three women one man group, it sounds like a duet.  They were from Chicago and Rockford.  The song was recorded at Sauk City, Wisconsins' Cuca studio and released on Vee-Jay.  Maybe this isn't what they were thinking of, however, I feel it is worth a shot.
Phil - WRCO

   


I was in grade school and Jim and Cathy Post (Friend & Lover) played at a company event at my Uncle Jim's  place of employment (Riggensteiner Printing) located in Chicago near UIC.  The band played what was to become a national smash " Reach Out In The Darkness".  An executive at the company was good friends with either Jim or Cathy - what I recall!  
Danny Lake / WLS  

I wonder if your reader is referring to Len & Judy, who recorded for the (tiny) Deer label of Chicago. Their 45, "Willy Nilly Joe" / "I'm Leaving Town Baby" (Deer 3001) is valued by rockabilly collectors for its b-side. I'm enclosing both sides of the 45.
Stu Shea







FYI …   
I saw this on one of your old postings ...   
>>>There used to be a Saturday morning show on the radio called "The Browsers" Do you know what ever happed to these guys? The guy leading the show was Eddie Hubbard. Dave Allison, Don Lucki and Ron Baxley were also on the show. Hubbard used to be the announcer for the Chesterfield Supper Club with the Glenn Miller Orchestra; top rated personality on WIND in Chicago. I just wouldn"t miss that show!!   (Joni)    
>>>I don't remember this one ... anybody else out there able to help? (kk)     
http://forgottenhits60s.blogspot.com/2013_01_20_archive.html    
After hosting “the music of the stars” format on WJJD-AM 1160 Chicago, Eddie was heard on SMN (Satellite Music Network) in Mokena, IL.  ABC Radio Networks took over in Dallas, TX.     
The Browsers were heard in a one-hour segment with Eddie on Saturdays on the ABC Radio Network.  The Browsers were also featured on WKDC-AM 1530 Elmhurst with Bob Knack and The Great Escape.  WKDC changed call letters to WJJG but Bob continued with his Saturday morning show.  Bob Knack left the air and later WJJG played nostalgia music Sunday afternoon / evening with The Browsers vignettes.     
I don’t have exact times / dates as of this email but I thought you might be interested after I saw this in your 2013 archive.    
Mike Baker And The Forgotten 45s




Hi Kent ... 
As you may recall in the movie, Jersey Boys, the Four Seasons or the Four Lovers as they were previously known sang background vocals for Bob Crewe on several recordings. I'm wondering if those recordings were ever hits and, if so, which ones were they, if you happen to know. Just interested if you happen to know. Thanx :)) 
Blossmwrld 
As far as I know the early Four Seasons were delegated to background singing roles for close to two years before finally having a hit of their own ... but despite their unique sound an vocal contributions, NONE of these recordings ever became a legitimate hit that you would recognize.  (I'd be curious to hear some of these, too, just to see exactly how they enhanced the sound of the "chosen" artist who had a recording contract and the faith of Bob Crewe.)  Kinda cool to think that his background proteges became one of the biggest recording acts of all time!  (So much for "golden ears"!!!)  kk


I grew up in Detroit area listening to WKNR Keener 13.  They played and charted Leroy and I own a copy. I just looked it up on line and listened to it sung by Norma Tracey.  Look it up and listen. Thought I'd let you know if you didn't already find out.
Larry Streetman
Yes, for whatever reason this track sparked quite a bit of commentary back then ... and we ultimately featured the Norma Tracey record on the website.  Thanks, Larry!  (kk)





Can I ask you to try and identify another?
Attached is a small mp3 file of a song which I can't identify - once again recorded on a "reel to reel" tape player in 1972, so it's not great quality.
I'm wondering if it's "Margo - What Have I Done (I'm So Ashamed)?" (Chart Records CH-5180) but the only way I can check is to buy the 7" single from a USA site - and the postage to the UK is expensive!
Can you let me know if I am correct or if it's something else?
Many thanks.
Andy 
I've never heard it before but I'm willing to have the list take a stab at it.  (kk)


Kent,  
I've been thoroughly enjoying your 50 Years Ago series. How could we forget the summer of 64!  
On a slightly different subject, have you ever done anything on the Jamestown Massacre? They had a hit with Summer Sun back in 72. Not much info out there other than they were from Downers Grove.   Thanks. 
Dave 
Hoffman Estates 
"Summer Sun" was, at best, a local hit back in 1972.  Billboard charted it at #90 ... it did a little better in Cash Box (#78) ... and a little worse in Record World (#93) ... and, truth be told, even here in Chicago it never climbed any higher than #20 (and that was on the WCFL chart only ... for some crazy reason, WLS ignored it!) 
And that's a REAL shame ... as this is a GREAT, overlooked track that SHOULD have been a much bigger hit.  Everyone I've ever played it for has fallen in love with it ... yet somehow it never caught on with the masses. 
Led by Dave Bickler on lead vocals (who would next move on to handle those duties to far greater success with Survivor when he teamed with Jim Peterik and Frankie Sullivan), The Jamestown Massacre also included Len Fogerty on guitar, Mark Ayers on keyboards, Gary Manata on bass and Jim Smith on drums.  
We've talked about these guys a couple of times before in Forgotten Hits ... the general consensus seems to be that their name may have very well been their greatest detractor from success.  However this has NEVER made the least bit of sense to me ... the infamous Jonestown Massacre happened in 1978 ... six years AFTER this record came out ... yet so-called radio "experts" have cited this as being the main reason deejays across the country were a little shy about tasting the kool-aid at the time.  Ridiculous!  This is a GREAT record ... and it SHOULD have been a monster hit ... especially in 1972 when this was the sound de jour!!!  (kk)

UPDATE:  Dave Bickler's replacement as lead vocalist of Survivor was Jimi Jamison, who died of a heart attack earlier this year on August 31st.  He joined the band in 1984 and sang lead on their hits "The Moment Of Truth" (from "The Karate Kid"), "I Can't Hold Back, "High On You", "The Search Is Over", "Burning Heart" (from "Rocky IV") and "Is This Love.  He was only 63 years old.    

Hi Kent, 
I was looking for The New Place schedules online.  I haven't found any, but I noticed a post from 2010 that states that it burned down in 1968. Dex Card still held outdoor shows at that location over the summer of 1969.  The acts were along the line of his Wild Gooses that summer.  John Harrold  
Before my time ... but one of the coolest things about doing Forgotten Hits is being able to just go ask Dex Card himself to see what he remembers!  (Obviously somebody's timeline is wrong here ... so let's find out whose!)  kk   
Hi Kent,   
The New Place burned down, but continued to be used for outdoor concerts.  The former owner was Don Manhard. 
Dex Card


Regarding your thread regarding  “A Walk In The Black Forest”, I can remember it being used as the intro to a programme where two boys and father (?) walked across Dartmoor.  My mother bought me the single because of that programme. Any idea of the name of the programme please?   
Graham Grimmett 
Nope ... but somebody out there might know ... let's give it a shot!  For some reason "A Walk In The Black Forest" has also come up numerous times before in Forgotten Hits.  On a recent road trip I brought along a copy of a radio program I put together for WRCO up in Wisconsin ... it was our "Walk Don't Run" Marathon ... six hours of nothing but songs with the words "walk" or "run" in the title.  As soon as this one came on, Frannie recognized it immediately ... but just couldn't think of the name.  Apparently it was used in a variety of television spots back then.  (kk)




I have an old 45 on Buddah Records, “Take Your Time,” by Morning Rain.  Do you know ANYTHING about it?  It’s a great pop song! 
Thanks, 
Alan Ethridge  
Buddah Records got stereo-typed as the home of Bubblegum Rock in the late '60's ... and they truly did deserve that title, thanks to hit after hit after hit by artists like The Ohio Express, The 1910 Fruitgum Company, The Lemon Pipers and others ... but they also released a wide variety of other music as well ... by artists as diverse as Melanie, The Edwin Hawkins Singers, Gladys Knight and the Pips, the recently featured Brooklyn Bridge, friends of Forgotten Hits like Lou Christie and Ian Lloyd and Stories, oldies acts like Sha Na Na and Fred Parris on up through disco hits like "More More More" by The Andrea True Connection.  Morning Rain fell somewhere in between. 
Their single "Take Your Time" never charted on any of the pop charts published by the national trades.  As such, I couldn't find anything in any of my research sources that even mention them.  (Incredibly, there wasn't even a posting on YouTube ... which typically caters to the rare and obscure!)   
I did find, however, a VERY comprehensive Buddah Records Discography Site which at least lists the record (albeit with no additional information.) 
Anybody else out there know anything about these guys???  Let us hear from you!  (Plus I'd like to hear the record!!!)  kk  
Click here: Buddah Records - CDs and Vinyl at Discogs

I am a fan and listener of the 60's oldies music.  I used to listen to the UK Top 20 as released  by the New Musical Express. I was very fond of a nice song of which I only remember some of the lyrics.  I am in search of its title and the name of the singer.  After writing down the following lyrics, I wonder if you can be of any help .
Quote:
I studied Shakespeare when I was in school, thought Romeo was a joy.  I like the true way he loved Juliet, it was my ideal of a boy. 

Romeo, why am I so in love with you? Romeo, is it you or the thing you do? 
Are you mine from the moment you said hello ... are you mine or just bluffing my Romeo?  
Unquote  
That's all I remember.  
Thank you for a reply. 
Al Fredazar  
This one's not at all familiar to me ... but somebody on our list may recognize.  (Plus we've got a pretty large British readership these days, too ... so stick around to see if we can get you your answer.)  kk



Hello - 
I have spent more than 20 years looking for one LP ... Paul Revere and the Raiders: Special Edition I would REALLY love to get the LP in mp3 because I don't have a record player anymore ... or if you can just tell me where I can buy the old LP that would be ok too.  
Thank you for your time.  
Michael Curry  
Well, I didn't see this listed in any of the obvious places ... and, although I had a pretty complete collection of Paul Revere and the Raiders albums in my collection at one point and time, I can't say as I remember this being one of them.  So I consulted a couple of price guides and didn't see it listed there either ... so now I'm baffled. 
Digging a little deeper, I DID find an album called "Special Edition" released in 1983 ... could that possibly be the one you're referring to???  
This guy had a copy for $39.99 advertised when I checked on 10/21 ... 


Click here: Paul Revere and The Raiders "Special Edition" Raider America Records 582 | eBay  
Wikipedia (not one of my favorite sources for accurate information) says the "Special Edition" album was recorded in 1982 and marketed on Paul's own "Raiders America" record label ... it featured Michael Bradley on lead vocals.  I couldn't find a track listing but I imagine a good portion of this LP contains re-recordings of their best-known hits (although there may also be some new material included as well.)  kk
UPDATE:  At $39.99, Michael decided to pass ... I think if I'D been looking for a record for over twenty years ... and finally had somebody hand it to me on a silver platter ... I would have JUMPED at the opportunity to finally snag this thing!!!  (To each his own, I guess!)  kk


PERHAPS YOU CAN HELP ME SOLVE MY QUEST.
RECENTLY, I CAME ACROSS YOUR SITE WHILE I WAS LOOKING FOR "JIM CROCE" ARTICLES. MY NAME IS RICH CROCE AND I AM THE BROTHER OF THE LATE JIM CROCE.
YOUR BLOG ARCHIVE DATED SEPTEMBER 29TH, 2010, SHOWS A PICTURE OF MYSELF AND MY FRIEND "PATTI".  

I WAS WONDERING IF IT WERE POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO LOCATE HER AND, IF SO, COULD YOU PASS MY EMAIL ON TO HER? I REALIZE THE PRIVACY ASPECT AND RESPECT THE CONFIDENTIALITY INVOLVED IF IT IS NOT PERMITTED.
MAYBE IN THE FUTURE WE CAN CHAT ABOUT THE "MUSIC YEARS"!!!
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
SINCERELY,
RICH CROCE 

Wow!  Normally, I wouldn't even have the FAINTEST idea as to how to go about doing this!!!  If you have all of her old information (full name, recent addresses, etc.) you've probably got a better chance of locating her than I do!!!  But never say never ... we've pulled off some pretty amazing things here over the years.  
Click here: Forgotten Hits: Some Mid-Week Comments  
UPDATE:  Incredibly we DID find Patti ... she is STILL a Forgotten Hits Reader (and has been for probably at least a dozen years or so!!!)  I forwarded her Rich's information and left this matter in her hands to do with what she will.  (Stay tuned ... who knows, "Forgotten Hits Match" may be just around the corner!!!  lol)  kk



Hi Kent - 
Hope all is well with you. 
Billy J  Kramer is my live, on air guest on Monday, November 3rd.
Hal Blaine from the Wrecking Crew will be my guest on November 10th.  

I wondered if we could put a request out via your fine newsletter.   
We have done over 1400 interviews on our radio show.   
Most recent interviewees include Robert Lamm of Chicago, Don Felder of the Eagles, Denny Tedesco   (son of Tommy), producer of film The Wrecking Crew, Kent Hartman, writer of the book The Wrecking Crew ... and many others. 
In fact, if you have not already read them, I would recommend two wonderful books:  
"Always Magic In The Air" by Ken Emerson ... the story of the Brill Building 
and "The Wrecking Crew" by Kent Hartman.  
I'm seeking for future: 
Any writer from The Brill Building ... it has long been my radio mission to locate people to interview on the subject of The Wrecking Crew ... which may be difficult as it is now an age where sadly some of the great songwriters have passed on. 
I recently interviewed both Kent Hartman and Denny Tedesco ... both of whom were wonderful guests ... and I am delighted to say that Hal Blaine is going to be my guest on the 10th of November.  
It has just been announced that Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons will play four dates in the UK in July of 2015.  I have already asked UK PR People to help me set up a phoner but I was hoping that with your strong connections, you might have an "inside contact" to Frankie Valli.  Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. 
In fact, if any of your contacts out there can help me line up spots with these artists ... or put me in contact with somebody who can, please have them contact me. 
My email is:  chunkygeoff@gmail.com and website is:   www.softrockshow.co.uk  
Regards --  
Geoff Dorsett  
Happy to pass your request along ... perhaps somebody out there has the contact information to help set this up for you.  (Meanwhile, off the record I have given you a couple of names that I think would also make good interview candidates ... look forward to any updates you can share with our readers.  Thanks, Geoff!  (kk)   

re:  AND FROM THE "SELF HELP" DEPARTMENT:
And sometimes these things just have a way of solving themselves ... before we can even get them to print!  (lol) 

Hi -
I hope you can help me!
I'm trying to identify a song that was recorded onto a Reel to Reel tape player in 1967, in the UK, from a pirate radio station.  The title could be "I Can't Help The State I'm In" or "I'd Do It Again"
or something similar.  Sounds to me like a British group and was probably a B side.
Believe it or not I still have the tape and it plays and have managed to transfer it to my PC. It is now in mp3 format - have squeezed it down to half a MB.  I've sent it along to you so you can play it and share it with your readers in the hopes that somebody will recognize it and tell me who and what it is!
Andy 


After a bit more of a thorough search on the web I'm wondering if it's Bobby Wood - "I'd Do It Again", the B side of "So Cruel" from 1964 ... but there's no way I can verify that - can you?
Andy 

Nope, it's not that one.  (Tom Diehl sent us a copy of the Bobby Wood track and it ain't the one!!!)  Anybody else out there got any ideas as to what this might be???  (kk)

Thanks - I nearly bought it too off ebay!   I appreciate all the help.
Andy

And then ... he found it on his own!!!  (Sharing with others who may also have an interest.)  kk
I've got it!  Shazam has come up trumps!

It's "Philip Goodhand-Tait & The Stormsville Shakers - No problem" from 1966.
It's on Youtube.
Thanks anyway!
Andy

Kent,  
For 40 years I’ve been wondering if I dreamed up hearing a song called “Mary, Mary”.  All I remembered was one line “Mary, Mary, why do you just laugh at what I say … ” and the approximate year, 1974.  Today, thanks to Forgotten Hits, I found the song!  A  discussion on the band Puzzle, and their song “You Make Me Happy”, led me to check out some of their other tunes that were mentioned and, to my surprise, there on YouTube was the song I’ve waited for years to hear again … “Mary, Mary”.  I always knew that if I ever stumbled across this tune it would be because of Forgotten Hits.  Thanks for helping to solve the puzzle!  
Dick Eastman 
Antioch, IL
Excellent!  (The only "Mary, Mary" I knew was the one by The Monkees from their second album!) kk  

Can you tell me who sang the song Crazy Love?  They played it on Sirius radio. It was played on the Peter Noone show.  
Thanks, 
Terri
Unfortunately there are several songs called "Crazy Love" that have received quite a bit of airplay over the years.  The ones that immediately come to mind are by Poco, Van Morrison, Paul Anka and The Allman Brother Band ... and each of these are a completely different song!  Frank Sinatra and Paul Simon have also recorded songs called "Crazy Love".  If you think you can narrow it down from this list, I can most likely send you a copy to listen to in order to determine if that is the one you're looking for.  Thanks, Terri!  (kk)
Thanks for getting back to me. I was able to get it. It was by the Velours, a 50's group.  Thanks again.
Terri
Wow!  That one didn't even make my list!  (lol)  kk


re:  TWO MORE THAT JUST CAME IN:
Just as we were about to go to press, we received these two interesting inquiries ... 

Hi Kent - 
Always the curious '60s aficionado, I wanted to ask you who the writer was of the song "Workin' on a Groovy Thing"? Could not find it when googling.  And is it true that singer Patti Drew did the original version in '68, but with not much success? 
Thanks. 
Joanie  
Chalk that one up to the great Neil Sedaka ... just another one of the MANY hits he had a hand in writing.  (It was co-written with Roger Atkins.)  It became a Top 20 Hit for The Fifth Dimension in 1969 ... but you're right, Patti Drew cut it first a year earlier.  (We've featured BOTH versions several times in Forgotten Hits.)  Patti's version topped out at #62 in Billboard ... but was a #17 Hit here in Chicago ... so when we heard The Fifth Dimension's version a year later, it was already familiar to many of us.




Burton Cummings has a show coming up this Friday Night at The Arcada Theatre ... so this question seemed ESPECIALLY timely!  (He absolutely KILLED here last year ... hoping to see some of our Forgotten Hits Readers out at this year's show.)  kk

Hi Kent -
Can you please ask Burton Cummings "What's the deal with 'Albert Flasher'"??? 
That's got to be the most nonsensical song ever written. 
I mean, I love it ... but it makes absolutely NO sense! 
Is there some hidden meaning that I'm missing?  Or is this just from the era when the drugs were really kicking in?
I'd LOVE to hear his response.
Thanks!
Steve
As far as I know, "Albert Flasher" started out as a piano warm-up exercise (and a DAMN good one at that ... that run features some pretty amazing playing that really drives the song!)
As far as the lyrics go, I guess I never really gave them much thought ... I've just been a fan of the overall sound of the record.  I think it should have been a MUCH bigger hit than it was (and to this day believe that the fact that it was promoted as a two-sided hit here in America hurt its chances of doing so.)  Paired with "Broken" (in my mind, a far inferior track), radio wasn't sure which side of the record to play.  I remember here in Chicago "Broken" being given the initial push ... but then "Albert Flasher" coming up right behind it.  Once the dust settled, "Broken" peaked at #51 nationally and "Albert" reached #22 ... not a bad showing (but I've always felt that this one had "Top Ten Hit" written all over it.
I'll put your inquiry to Burton Cummings and see if he can shed any inside light on the lyrics and inspiration.  I just think it's a GREAT sounding record!
kk
The piano riff in Albert Flasher is just an exorcise I used for years to "warm up" my hands when I sat down at the piano.
One time we were doing a radio interview in LA, and there was a big red sign that flashed when the news guy was finished and it was time to throw back to us in the other studio … there was a button that caused the red light to flash and on this button was written "alert flasher".  In my hurriedness,
I wrote down "albert flasher" thinking what a cool name it was … it was just that I misread it.
On the plane, on the way to Hawaii, I found that tiny piece of paper in my pocket from the radio station with "albert flasher" written on it.
Sometime later, when I got to a piano, I scribbled down some gobbledegook lyrics …
Michael was a moonbeam maker … there was a guy I went to school with named "Michael" who was 
exceedingly smart, and who apparently solved some old logic problem that had been in the books for years … other than that, it's all just stuff "grabbed from the air".
BC

 

THIS WEEK IN FORGOTTEN HITS:
LOTS of brand new postings, all week long.  In fact, Forgotten Hits subscribers will also receive additional tidbits in their emails this week.
Not a Forgotten Hits subscriber?  Then GET ON THE LIST!!!
Just drop me an email at forgottenhits@aol.com ... and put the word "Subscribe" in the subject line ... and we'll add your name to our update / reminder list.  It's that simple.  Why miss anything?
Subscribe to Forgotten Hits today!!!