Friday, November 20, 2015

Helping Out Our Readers

Some rather unusual ... and more difficult requests this time around ... 

But that's ok ... we're up to the challenge.  

Let's see if any of you can help solve some of these mysteries.  

(Besides, we haven't done one of these in awhile!)

re:  Helping Out Our Readers:   

Let's kick things off with a little success story ...
 
Hey Kent,  
I stumbled upon your blog somewhat randomly, but I hope you can appreciate the request. Awhile back, on 97.1 The Drive, Bob Stroud would do his Rock n Roll Roots Salute on Sunday mornings, and he had this intro that he played before the show. It was the coolest thing, and my family and would listen to it on the way to church. Especially after my mother died, it became even more of a tradition. I’ve been searching for the audio to this intro (in the beginning, there was nothing but rock … ); for ages, and I was hoping that I would be able to get the audio MP3 or video or something for my older brother for his birthday in November. I know this is a long shot, but any leads you can provide would be extremely appreciated.
Cheers,
Jane
I went right to the source on this one.  That montage ran for YEARS on Bob Stroud's "Rock And Roll Roots" radio program ... so I asked him if might not be able to share a copy (and help make somebody's day.)
From what I've since been told, Stroud was kind enough to share this with me you.
So, Happy Birthday to your brother ... and here's hoping this rekindles a memory for you as well.  (kk) 
Hi Kent,  
Thank you so, so, so much for the email! I did receive it on Friday of last week and I’m so thrilled. My brother, the birthday boy, will be absolutely ecstatic.  
Have a great day!  
Cheers, 
Jane
 
Hi Kent,
I ran across your website and thought you might know about Richard Gardner. 
I'm helping a friend, Daniel Tyler Pohnke, look for him. He is his biological father. We were told he passed away a few years ago in Houston.
He was with the Coastliners for a short period of time in the 60's and with the Buzz Bone band in the 70's.
He copyrighted one song called "Too Pooped To Pucker" under the name Richard Dayton Gardner.
Any help you could give would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kathy Brantingham
Thousand Oaks, CA
I'm not at all familiar with any of this but, believe it or not, we have reunited long-last family members before in Forgotten Hits so I'm willing to give it a shot.  We've got some pretty long-reaching arms in music circles these days ... so if anybody out there is able to help make this connection, please get back to me so that I can pass the information along.
Thanks!  (kk)
 
Good morning Beatles people,
Can anybody out there help make this Beatles fan's dream come true?
I received the following email from a man I met at a nostalgia show last month.  His last name is Hall, so I can likely assume that his sister’s name would have also been Hall at the time of this event.  Can any of you help him give his sister the ultimate birthday present when she’s 64?  I will provide his email to anyone with information that can assist him.  Thank you!
Jennifer
 
Dear Jennifer,
HELP PLEASE ...
My sister, Karen, is a Beatle Freak! She entered a write-in Beatle contest hosted by radio WABC New York. This contest was a "send in the name of  your favorite Beatle" contest. John was my sister's favorite, but in the end, she felt bad for the other three so she sent in their names as well.
My sister listened for the winners every night, but ... tragedy!!!  She missed one night. 
That night our phone started ringing and all her fellow Beatle fanatics were calling to congratulate her ... BUT SHE MISSED JOHN LENNON'S ANNOUNCING HER NAME OVER THE RADIO!!!
CAN YOU HELP ME?  I would love to supply her with a recording of John reading her name. This year she turned 64.  I made her a "When I'm 64" card, sent her valentines, a bottle of wine, and 64 red roses. I would love to top it all with her hearing John read her name over the radio.
DOES ANYONE ON THE PLANET KNOW WHERE THERE MIGHT BE A RECORDING OF THAT TIME WHEN THE BEATLES WERE ANNOUNCING THE WINNERS OF THE CONTEST?  IT IS THE GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT IN MY SISTER'S LIFE.  PLEASE CONTACT ME AND LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN FIND IT, OR IF THERE ARE ANY LEADS.
Gratefully,
Younger Brother Eric
A pretty tall request to find somebody who just happened to be listening to that EXACT radio program at that EXACT time ... and also happened to have a tape recorder rolling ... but hey, we'll give it a shot!  We've found numerous people who used to tape their favorite radio programs back then ... and let's face it, the early days of Beatlemania was a pretty crazy time ... it was almost non-stop Beatles Broadcasting back then ... and nobody wanted to miss a thing.
If you can tell us the name of the deejay who hosted this program ... and approximately when that year this would have aired, perhaps we can narrow it down a bit ... but my guess is that unless you listened specifically to WABC and remember a contest like this (or maybe even ENTERED this contest), we're not going to be able to make this connection.  But as I said before, I'm game for the challenge ... so come on, readers, let us hear from you.  Thanks.  (kk)