Saturday, July 8, 2017

July 8th

At the urging of Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork, who caught his act at The Monterey Pop Festival, The Jimi Hendrix Experience opens for The Monkees for the very first time in Jacksonville, Florida … he will quit the tour nine days later after making a total of seven appearances with The Pre-Fab Four.  (I love the way they spell "Monkee's" on the poster ... I'm guessing the band had nothing to do with signing off on this one!)



The Five Americans appear on "American Bandstand". 



TV Guide's cover story this week profiles the popular new television series "The F.B.I." starring Efrem Zimbalist, Jr.   One of the biggest fans of the program is none other than J. Edgar Hoover, who heads up the REAL F.B.I..  (Everything old is new again … one of today's popular hit television series is "Quantico", showing a far more glamorous group of agents working for the F.B.I. … apparently in 2016, you had to have been either a super model or a Miss World candidate in order to earn a spot fighting the bad guys … in fact, I'll bet I hear "Quantico" mentioned at least three or four times a week now during OTHER television programs as well … this seems to have become the key way of referring to The F.B.I. these days.)  

Testifying before a House subcommittee, Hoover says that "I have received hundreds of letters from people saying that the inspector on the FBI series portrayed what they thought an FBI agent should portray."  He added, "I want our agents to live up to that image."  (Hoover and Zimbalist are pictured on the front cover and, before you ask, no, Hoover is NOT wearing a dress.)